Friday, October 15, 2010

Because She Could

As we all know, those chopsticks we use to stir the ice teas are constantly disappearing, either because they are thrown in the trash by a new busgirl or walking out the door with the guests.  Today during lunch Katie points out that a woman is leaving with one in her hand.  I make the approach.  "Oh Miss, you've got one of our chopsticks!"  "Oh?" she says.  "Yes" I continue, "we use those for ice tea stirrers."  She looks at the one in her hand like she's never seen it before.   "Oh" she repeats, "I thought it was a favor."  "No" I respond, "it is not."  I reach to take it from her, and there is a brief tugging match before she relinquishes her prize. She beckons to her lunch partner, who is rapidly going out the door. "Didn't you take yours?"  "No." is the firm reply, as her friend hurriedly escapes. 

And, tell me this - what is someone going to do with a single chopstick?


2 comments: