Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mr. Picky Goes to Breakfast

There are several spots for weekend breakfast in our area - the closest being Molly Mason's, which is always packed.  However, when it's pancakes on Kevin's mind - which, apparently was the case this past Sunday morning - there is only one destination that will suit.  Because of Mr. Picky's behavior, I feel I must not reveal the name of this breakfast hot spot, but most of you know it quite well. 

We arrive well after the post-church rush and easily secure a table by the wall.  After a minimal glance at the menu, Kevin orders a six-stack of cakes; my choice is a breakfast sandwich with scrapple, egg and cheese. 

The pancakes that are produced here are really, really good.  They are not your typical thick and fluffy style; these are more along the lines of a crepe.  They arrived nicely golden brown, with inviting crispy edges.  I watched while Kevin methodically opened each one of the little pats of butter and smeared it on every layer.  I thought "Real butter at least, but too bad he'll have to put that "breakfast syrup", aka high fructose corn syrup, on those lovely pancakes". 

I underestimated my husband.

Once the cakes were all buttered up, he reached into his jacket pocket and brought out: a jar of Moxie.  Moxie Maple Syrup that is, produced and jarred by our cousins in Maine, and carried down south every so often, to our great delight.  He poured the real thing on those babies, and you know it made all the difference. 

People bring stuff into our place occasionally - usually a bottle of water or a special t-bag - and we generally find it only a little off-putting.  I'd like to apologize to the the business where Kevin's transgression occurred, although I supposed I am lucky he doesn't do more stuff like this. Still, there is nothing much better than really good pancakes with really good real maple syrup on a Sunday morning.  I hope they understand.

1 comment:

  1. I have a jar of Moxie in the refrigerator, too! I have a really good homemade buttermilk pancake recipe; maybe I should mix up a batch!

    ReplyDelete