Friday, June 10, 2011

The Return of the Beets

You may find this hard to believe, but not everyone loves beets!  As a matter of fact, I would venture to say that they are among the most polarizing vegetables that we serve - it's either "keep them off my plate" or "may I have a beet veg plate".   I also have had more than one diner tell me that they thought they didn't like beets...until they tasted what Kevin does to them.

We got our season's first bushel from Arnold Farms.  And you know those tops will make it to the plates, as well as the roots.

They get roasted in their jackets.

The peeling process is a messy job; 
the juice will stain everything it touches.

They are cubed and finally mixed with a dressing that 
closely resembles the "sweet and sour" of Harvard style beets.
They will be one of the vegetables on the dinner large plates,
pretty much from now until forever.

While I know there will be the usual beet haters out there, 
who will send the plate back to have the offending
vegetable removed, don't you think they look delicious?
Or is it that Pork Porterhouse I am seeing?

1 comment:

  1. Why do I suspect that eggplant would give beets a run for their money as "most polarizing"? That is, unless so few folk like eggplant that it isn't "polarizing" at all?!?

    ReplyDelete