Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wednesday's Prix-fixe

I am not by any means prejudiced, but I will say that last night's PF menu was right up there with the best.   I had an inkling it was going to be good when I came back from feeding Ruby and Kevin calls me over to the line, saying "Taste this!".  That is generally a good sign, that things are working out so well he wants to share it with the person who will actually say what they think about the taste in question.  And this taste - of the duck ragu sauce - was undoubtedly a winner.  I proceeded to have a bowl full.  

But I am getting ahead of myself.  The menu began with the above pictured eggplant/tomato/mozzarella stack, sauced with basil puree.  Does it get any more summer than this?  Yeah, well I guess he could have sprinkled a little fresh corn on the plate.  I actually got one of these too - my lucky day! two major hits! - when the eggplant was still hot.  What a mouthful of flavor this was.  Way to go Kevin!

The aforementioned duck ragu was tossed with some of Kevin's pasta, cut as pappardelle for a pleasantly earthy change.  Big chunks of duck, a deeply tomato-ed sauce, livened up with fresh Parmesan and chopped parsley - wow.  A savory satisfying plate of dinner. 

Many of the accompanying desserts went home on to-go plates.  Blueberry crumb cake, made just like mom used to make.  Well, maybe not my mom, but someone's mom, surely.  

It was a very successful menu.  Once again, Kevin got to fool around and produce a meal that our regulars look forward to, week after week.  It has to be good, if Kevin made it, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment